Friday 4 September 2015

AUGUST FAVOURITES


August has flown by so quickly! It's monthly favourites time again, and this month I am sharing some cruelty free beauty items, among others, and some tv shows I have been binge watching. 


'Shanghai', Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs
I got this perfume oil as a sample size (see my BPAL haul & first impressions here!) and every time I've tried it I've literally just been sniffing myself all day. This smells so good! It's notes are green tea, lemon verbena and honeysuckle. To me, in the bottle it smells like floral iced tea, but actually on me it is a light and bright citrusy floral. Great for everyday wear as it's just such a nice light, kind of summery, scent. Anyone whose been forced to smell my wrist over the past month as I've tried out lots of different perfumes (sorry!) has gone back for another sniff of this too!

'Dad's Garden Chamomile and Honeysuckle', Lush
While I've been loving Shanghai for every day wear, I like to have something a little more subtle for work. I've just started a new job, and have been a little nervous, as I always am when I go somewhere new or don't know what is going to happen. I just gravitated towards this scent my first day and have kept going back to it ever since. This perfume has notes of chamomile, lavender, jasmine and orange blossom - and to me it smells like a lovely, herbal floral, and even if it doesn't actually help me to calm down, just knowing I have it on and getting wafts of it makes me feel a little less stressed. It's not an intensely feminine kind of floral, and could even be a unisex scent, so great for me as I work in a male oriented store. This would be great for anyone else who wants to smell nice at work, but not feel like they are wearing too much perfume.

The Body Shop Cocoa Butter Body Butter

I used to use body butter like crazy when I was a teenager, but since then I've found that rich and perfumed creams make my skin flare up, so until now I hadn't touched any in a long while. But, recently I've been into the cocoa butter smell - warm and sweet and comforting, yum! - so picked up a body lotion and baby pot of cocoa butter from The Body Shop to test out. While the lotion is nice, it doesn't have the same intense smell as the body butter - this stuff smells fantastic! I've been using it on all my drier patches, like elbows and knees, as well as my tattoos, and so far so good!

Our Tiny Bees Weird Balm Healing Salve
I liked this little balm so much it got it's own post! It really helped ease my aching muscles, and so has been loved dearly this month.


Barry M Dazzle Dust in '105 - Athena'
This is a lovely shimmery peachy pink colour that I've been wearing a lot as an all over wash of colour on my lids. It's nice enough to make you look put together, but not so in your face that it looks like you've got on a lot of makeup. So great for nice and simple, but really pretty, everyday looks.

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette
I've had this palette for ages now, and use it pretty much every day for my eyebrows (Naked 2 is a nice matte taupe colour) but have only recently fallen back in love with it for actual eye looks. My favourite shade in the palette is Venus, a gorgeous pearly white/champagne shimmer colour that looks fantastic as a corner of the eye/tearduct brightener. It can be worn subtly, or built up to really sparkle. Foxy and W.O.S are incredibly similar to my actual skin colour, so I usually use these as bases for other colours. Naked 2, as well as being a great brow shade, is lovely as a very subtle crease shade, and a mix of Faint and Crave makes a lovely smoky eyeliner.

Unicorn Wing Comb, Crown & Glory
I've been wearing this little hair comb, from last month's Crown and Glory Glitterati box quite a lot recently, to keep my shorter fringe parts tucked away. It's so beautiful, but it's subtle enough that I can wear it with anything in an everyday outfit without feeling too dressed up.

Bat Notebook, Ikea
I got this adorable little bat 'field notes' notebook on my last trip to Ikea, and I've been using it for a mix of bullet journaling and making plans for blog posts/videos. I like the fact that it has reasonably thick paper (so your ink doesn't show through) and plain pages rather than ruled, so I can sketch ideas as well as make notes.


I've also been watching a lot of Netflix, mainly in the background while I do other things like eat, tidy or edit photos. I'm currently on season four of Once Upon a Time, and season two of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Both excellent shows, and Buffy is such a nostalgia trip, as I grew up watching it (I can remember being obsessed when I was younger, and in trying to figure out when I started watching it - I must have been around about ten, woah!). I've also been really getting into The Great British Bake Off. The sassy comments just slay me. 

What have you been loving this month? Let me know below!



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Light in the Wasteland. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig