Sunday 23 August 2015

THE VEGAN KIND BEAUTY BOX, AUGUST UNBOXING

I said a few months ago that I wanted to start trying out a new subscription box every month. In June I got a Loot Crate box, in July I got a custom item from Crown and Glory (not strictly a subscription box, but it was my treat for the month nonetheless) and this month I decided to go for The Vegan Kind Beauty Box - which is a cruelty free and vegan beauty box. I've seen unboxings of previous beauty boxes and loved the products, so thought I'd give it a go myself!




The Vegan Kind Beauty Box is a quarterly subscription box that is full of cruelty free and vegan beauty products. On their website they say that beauty boxes contain 5-8 items - which could range from skincare, cosmetics, pampering products, beauty accessories and toiletries - and that some money from each box is donated to a different animal related cause every month.  

First up we have some make-up wipes - Faith in Nature 3-in-1 Facial Wipes (RRP £3.25) - which have been specially formulated to be a pH balanced blend of natural essential oils. They say they will provide effective cleansing and removal of make-up naturally while moisturising, refreshing and toning. Make-up wipes are always handy to have around, and I am actually almost running out of my own, so while these are quite a mundane item to have, they are quite appreciated. I'm quite picky with make-up removing products (see here) but I will definitely give these a go and see how they do. I will say that they have a lovely fresh citrusy smell which is great, but maybe not so great for people who are sensitive to fragrances, so watch out!

Next we have a Dr. Organic Dead Sea Mineral Mud Mask (RRP £7.99) which comes with some very bold claims: "an oil regulating, detoxifying and anti-ageing bio-plasma face treatment that on the surface is an organic pore cleansing face mask, deep down it is a bioactive deeply replenishing face lift." I have been wanting to try Dr. Organic's dead sea range for a while now, so I'm quite happy to receive this item (even though I have literally just got a Lush face mask!) and test it out.

Now onto some make-up items! Here we have B. is for Beautiful All Lengthening Defining Mascara in Black (RRP £4.99) and PHB Ethical Beauty Natural and Organic Black Eye Liner (RRP £10.95) - two very 'everyday essentials' kind of items. I've heard of B. make-up, as it's readily available in Superdrug, but have never heard of PHB before - so it's nice that this box is introducing me to new brands (which I hoped it would!). 

The mascara is claimed to lengthen, define and volumise lashes all while conditioning them as well. These are some very bold claims from such a budget product, so I'm not too sure what to expect! I already have three cruelty free mascaras, so didn't really need another one, but it is always nice to try out different brands. As for the eyeliner, this is claimed to be enriched with a gentle nourishing formula, which is gentle to eyes, while still being richly pigmented and water resistant. I must say that I've never tried a natural and organic eye pencil before, so I was excited to swatch this - and then so disappointed when it smudged so easily! (See my video above). I know it only says water resistant and not smudge proof, or anything, but this feels like it will transfer and smudge all over the eye. I will test it out anyway and report back but I don't have high hopes. So, sadly not too enthused about these two make-up items! 

Lastly, we have a 'bonus item' which is, oddly, not a beauty product at all but three sachets of Teabox Detox Complexion Tea. I've never considered trying a detox tea before, but this one sounds really interesting - it is specifically designed to assist with a number of skin conditions and claims to support healthy skin. So if I was going to try any tea detox it would be this one. There isn't really any information about when and how to drink this tea (with meals, before bed, etc?) apart from the fact it says it's a day's worth of samples, so I'll have to check out the website.

While I do really like this item, and will enjoy giving it a go (I do love tea after all), it does feel a little bit like a cop out. These boxes are supposed to have 5-8 beauty items, and technically this only has 4, as the tea is a 'bonus gift' and not strictly a beauty item either. I do also really like the look of the Dr. Organic face mask, will definitely use the make-up wipes (they are always useful) and will try out the eye pencil and mascara. But I don't think I would purchase any of these items myself, to be honest, as I own products like these already. In watching previous unboxings, I saw lots of unusual brands and cool products, and in comparison this box seems very ... ordinary, if that makes sense, and a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it is lovely to have some more cruelty free products to test, and the items add up to a value more than what I paid for the box, but I wanted to give you guys an honest review. Do I like the message of this box, and the fact it introduces people to new cruelty free and vegan products? Yes. Do I think this particular box was worth it for me? Sadly, no. But I may continue my subscription and try the next box to see if it suits me any better than this one.


If you are interested in getting The Vegan Kind Beauty Box for yourself, subscriptions are quarterly (the next one is in November) and cost £15 plus £3.15 postage. This month, they also donated 20p from every box to the Dr Hadwen Trust (the UK's leading non-animal medical research charity) which is a lovely touch.


Did you get The Vegan Kind Beauty Box this month too? What did you think of the selection? Let me know!


PS | To read more information about the animal testing policies of the brands mentioned in this post, click here (Faith in Nature), here (Dr. Organic), here (B. Beauty) and here (PHB Beauty).





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Light in the Wasteland. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig